Launch Integration Technician - Temporary @ SpaceX - Vandenberg AFB, CA
Launch Integration Technician - Temporary
Post a job for free in Vandenberg AFB, CA
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
LAUNCH INTEGRATION TECHNICIAN - TEMPORARY POSITION
SpaceX is looking for motivated, energetic, and enthusiastic mechanical technicians to assist with launch site assembly and test of the Falcon 9 launch vehicle. Our team is tight-knit, and we regularly accomplish feats that were previously thought improbable. In addition to the required experience below, our ideal candidate needs to demonstrate exceptional personal initiative and the ability to maintain composure and a good attitude in demanding technical situations. Whether you are working with critical flight systems or a shovel, as a SpaceX employee you'll be expected to be responsible, hardworking, and conscientious of the quality of work you are performing. We need people who are not afraid to use their technical ability to not only identify issues but propose solutions and implement improvements. You must be able to produce high-quality work in a timely manner while continually looking forward to drive process improvements that streamline work and save costs.
- Stage, set up, assemble, flight hardware and test equipment per technical work instructions and ensure the highest level of quality to support the successful launch of a world class launch vehicle
- Hands-on operations with both large and small, fragile ESD sensitive assemblies
- Proficiently use various mechanical tools and heavy machinery
- Complete tasks related to site preventative maintenance in accordance with the asset management system
- Maintain, troubleshoot, and install fluid and electro-mechanical components from a schematic or drawing
- Work closely with engineers and leadership to develop and implement operational improvements focused on driving takt times down and ease of repeatability
- Rapidly change roles/responsibilities while working in a high-paced, challenging work environment
- Play a critical role in coordinated launch vehicle movements and integrated pressurized ground operations
This is a TEMPORARY position with SpaceX, for the length of time as stated, and is subject to change with minimal notice as business needs dictate.
- LENGTH OF POSITION: 6 months
- LOCATION: Vandenberg Air Force Base, CA
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 2+ years of professional experience working hands-on as a technician in the aerospace, aviation, automotive, or oil and gas industry
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Associate degree in aerospace technology or equivalent area of study
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to take project goals, inputs, and work toward the end-goal beyond individual task assignment
- Experience populating and repairing connectors ranging from D-SUB, BNC, TNC, N-TYPE SMA 8P8C
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook)
- Experience working in a clean room and ESD sensitive environment
- Knowledge of pressure, temperature, and flow measurement devices
- Experience maintaining a propulsion test stand in the aerospace industry
- Experience working at a rocket launch facility and supporting launch campaigns
- Military aviation experience as a propulsion or airframe technician
- Skill in operating and manipulating machinery and various hand and power tools requiring manual dexterity
- Experience with forklifts, cranes, and heavy equipment
- Familiarity with calibrated measurement devices including load cells, multi-meters, calipers, torque wrenches, depth gauges, and micrometers
- Able to obtain or currently hold top secret/ SCI security clearance
- Ability to pass Vandenberg Air Force background check
- Able to work while wearing air purifying and/or supplied air respirators
- Work schedule varies depending on site operational needs, and flexibility is required
- Able to lift 35 lbs. unassisted
- Lifting, standing, climbing, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, stretching, and carrying are generally required to perform the functions of this position
- Able to work at elevated heights (up to 300 feet), including the use of ladders
- Willing to operate heavy machinery
- Able to work in confined spaces
- Typically exposed to work in extreme outdoor environments – heat, cold, rain, ice
- Work performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, and noise
- Willing to travel to other SpaceX sites as needed
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX's Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.