Staff Mechanical Engineer @ True Digital Surgery - Santa Barbara, CA
Post a job for free in Santa Barbara, CA
True Digital Surgery is a World Leader in Computer-Guided Microsurgery. We combine 3D visualization and guidance software applications focused on improving accuracy, efficiency and outcomes for surgeons and patients. Our medical imaging and guidance system employs advanced real-time 3D graphic capabilities and proprietary software that is sold to surgeons and hospitals all over the world.
The successful Staff Mechanical Engineer candidate will be a great mechanical designer, accustomed to designing complex assemblies, and with proven experience starting with nothing and ending with a product successfully released to the market. The ideal person will be hands on, they’ll have a favorite fastener, they’ll experience a thrill from building the first prototype themselves, and will thrive in an active, startup-like environment. The candidate will contribute to the design and development of our next generation of medical instruments. We design and manufacture neurosurgery/microsurgery systems consisting of a mobile platform which may be wheeled between operating rooms (imagine a cast/machined base, wheels with an easy lock/unlock, weldments for a frame, mounting points for multiple computers/power supplies/UPS, masts and boom arms for displays and other equipment, polymer skins with controlled reveal lines), a 3D microscope (opto-mechanics, micron level adjustability and stability, precision translation stages for variable optical focus and magnification) mounted to a robotic arm (we use a COTS robotic system, and have various mechanical challenges associated with that), and surgical tools (titanium, polymer). The successful candidate will have experience and design skills which will allow them to improve upon our designs in our next generation products.
In addition to design and development, the successful candidate will work with a multidisciplinary marketing and engineering team to turn marketing requirements into actionable engineering requirements. They will interface with internal teams, e.g. Software, Quality, Procurement, Production, and external teams, e.g. suppliers, outsourced Industrial Designers. The successful candidate will also be involved in the transfer of products from development to manufacturing including workflow development, production equipment design and throughput optimization. The role will also require working with project and system engineers to create schedules, help define budgets and derive system/subsystem requirements.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Organize and lead design activities for the development and introduction of new products, and the continuous improvement of existing products.
- Provide expert-level Mechanical Engineering guidance and best-practices design for Research, Development, and Sustaining efforts.
- Directly contribute design work and prototyping for proof of concept products and assemblies.
- Generate designs which meet all requirements, including documentation, process compliance, reliability, testability, manufacturability, and performance.
- Provide root cause analysis for failures, and improve designs to mitigate those failures.
- Develop tools and procedures for manufacturing which improve efficiency and product yield, and which reduce costs.
- Provide cost and schedule estimates for various tasks.
- Contribute to and lead technical design review with multidisciplinary teams and upper management
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Typically requires a minimum of 6 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or 4 years and a Master’s degree; or a PhD with 1 years experience; or equivalent experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public. Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of:
- Expertise in Solid Modeling, creation of 2D prints from 3D models, and GD&T
- Experience in the creation of models of assemblies, with constraints
- Ability to perform tolerance stackup analysis across assemblies, including both linear and angular tolerances
- Experience with FEA in support of robust mechanical design
- Knowledge of fabrication processes for machined components, sheet metal, 3D print (polymer and metal), weldments, molds
- Knowledge of precision mechanical design, and mechanical design for optical systems
- Broad knowledge of engineering concepts (EE, ME, SW, data analysis, modeling)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include color, distance and close vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to work near moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive compensation and an extensive benefits package including paid time off, medical, dental and vision benefits and future growth opportunities within the company. Plus, we work to maintain the best possible environment
To respond to this opportunity, please apply through this ad.
For more information about us, please visit www.truedigitalsurgery.com
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Powered by JazzHR
Job Type: Full-time