Gene Therapy Intern – Molecular Biology @ Novartis Gene Therapies - San Diego, CA
Post a job for free in San Diego, CA
Ready to join a team committed to developing and commercializing gene therapies for patients and families devastated by rare neurological genetic diseases? Since 2013, Novartis Gene Therapies (formerly AveXis) has had one focus: bringing change to those devastated by genetic diseases.
The Novartis Gene Therapies culture embraces this mission. As a compassionate and dedicated team, we are enthusiastic about the science behind our work and finding answers to difficult questions. We are dedicated to communities affected by rare diseases, and these patients and families are the motivation for everything we do.
We have built a team with exceptional depth of experience, unified by a common vision; to develop gene therapies with the potential to positively impact the lives of the patients and families devastated by rare and life-threatening neurological genetic diseases. Though we are proud of what we have achieved to date, we remain relentlessly focused on making that vision a reality.
Novartis Gene Therapies (GTx) platform development group is seeking a motivated intern to contribute to implementation of novel advances in the gene therapy field to enable safe and efficacious treatment strategies. The ideal candidate a will be a student currently enrolled in an accredited undergraduate, master’s or doctoral program majoring in a relevant scientific field, with experience in areas such as cell and molecular biology, genomics, virology and/or assay development. The role will give the chosen candidate an opportunity to learn about the biotechnology industry in a hands-on manner, to pursue an exciting summer gene therapy project and to interact with our leaders, experts and colleagues in Novartis research centers across the world.
- Under supervision, isolate RNA from animal tissue for gene expression analysis.
- Assist with establishing bio-assays to characterize gene expression in tissue.
- Learn viral vector design and development.
- Expand knowledge regarding rare disease research and considerations for target prioritization and validation.
- Currently pursuing an undergraduate, masters, or Ph.D. in biotechnology, life science, or related field.
- Able to complete a 12-week internship in the summer (May/June - August/September 2021).
- Practical experience in a research lab setting (e.g. experience with biochemical engineering, virology, assay development and /or molecular biology techniques). Basic technical skills beyond course work in PCR, ELISA, cell culture, and/or molecular biology.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Well organized and detail oriented.
- Ability to prioritize and manage a large workload with multiple priorities.
The level of this position will be based on the final candidate’s qualifications.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Novartis Gene Therapies is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, sexual orientation or veteran status.