Gene Therapy Intern – In vitro Cell Potency Assay @ Novartis Gene Therapies - San Diego, CA
Post a job for free in San Diego, CA
The intern will:
Ready to join a team committed to developing and commercializing gene therapies for patients and families devastated by rare neurological genetic diseases? Since 2013, Novartis Gene Therapies (formerly AveXis) has had one focus: bringing change to those devastated by genetic diseases.
The Novartis Gene Therapies culture embraces this mission. As a compassionate and dedicated team, we are enthusiastic about the science behind our work and finding answers to difficult questions. We are dedicated to communities affected by rare diseases, and these patients and families are the motivation for everything we do.
We have built a team with exceptional depth of experience, unified by a common vision; to develop gene therapies with the potential to positively impact the lives of the patients and families devastated by rare and life-threatening neurological genetic diseases. Though we are proud of what we have achieved to date, we remain relentlessly focused on making that vision a reality.
Novartis Gene Therapies is seeking a gene therapy research intern for the In Vitro Cell Potency assay group to interrogate disease cellular models and target cells for improved and optimized AAV transduction. The research intern will take part of a project that will contribute to the development of therapeutic gene delivery viral vectors for rare diseases.
Project based responsibilities may include:
- Development of cellular paradigm appropriate to pipeline programs.
- Development and optimization of characterization expression assays.
- Study and characterization of AAV virus mediated cellular gene delivery.
- Use of novel molecular biology techniques to engineer cells for enhanced transduction of adeno-associated virus.
The intern will:
- Actively collaborate with, and learn from, scientists within the immediate team
- Gain knowledge of company policies, processes and research protocols.
- Under supervision, complete assigned tasks and assist with day-to-day operations.
- Follow all company regulations, and health & safety codes.
- Record & update research activities and assist with preparation of reporting documents.
- Current enrollment in an accredited undergraduate, master’s or doctoral program, majoring in biochemistry, cell biology, neuroscience, bioengineering, life sciences, or related field
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Attention to details, focus on quality work, and time management skills
- A positive attitude and willingness to learn
- Excellent oral/written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Cell culture, basic molecular biology, assay development
- Working knowledge of cell-based assays
- Protein expression, quantification and detection, a plus.
- Useful hands-on knowledge include: Viral transduction, plasmid transfection, RNAi, RT-qPCR, DNA cloning, Western blot, ELISA, microscopy, FACS, immunostaining.
The level of this position will be based on the final candidate’s qualifications.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Novartis Gene Therapies is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, sexual orientation or veteran status.