Literacy/Learning Specialist (5 yrs. exp., we're opening online this fall) @ The Lang School - New York, NY
Literacy/Learning Specialist (5 yrs. exp., we're opening online this fall)
Post a job for free in New York, NY
The Lang School is a progressive, private school for gifted and high potential learners diagnosed with learning challenges, such as dyslexia, ADHD, anxiety, or high functioning autism - in other words, “twice exceptional” or “2e” learners. Each of our classes has a maximum of 8 to 12 students.
We have an opening for a Learning Specialist to work with students in grades 1-12 to support academic growth in the areas of reading and writing. The Learning Specialist will teach 1:1 or in small groups of 2 to 3 students on a pullout and push-in basis to focus on targeted skills, strategies, and generalization using research-based programs. The Learning Specialist will partner with therapy team members (SLP, OT, School Psychologists), as well as classroom teachers, staff developers, and school leadership to support learners in all aspects of their education and development.
Lang faculty enjoy exceptional school-funded access to professional development and a strong support system, from school leadership to colleagues and parents. Candidate must commit to summer 2020 associate level OG certification and SRSD training, both online and school-funded. Therapy team members have cost-free use of their school office for tutoring Lang students starting at 3:30 and for tutoring private clients after 4:00pm weekdays (and anytime on weekends). Salary is commensurate with training and experience (ranging from $75k to $125k); benefits include health insurance, generous sick/personal leave, paid DoE holidays, and access to a 401k and Transitchek.
- Collaborate with classroom teachers, therapy team members, school leadership, and outside providers on students receiving learning specialist support (push in and pullout).
- Plan 1:1 lessons using a variety of instructional approaches and programs to ensure access for students with unique learning challenges.
- Administer assessments to measure progress and develop student academic goals.
- Document student services (session notes, case conferences, twice yearly progress reports
- Participate in creating and monitoring student profiles based on current evaluations.
- Co-facilitate internal PD with education team members.
- Participate in ongoing external PD identified in partnership with education team.
- Maintain proactive and responsive communication with students, parents,, colleagues, leadership, and other stakeholders.
- Partner with teachers on unit and lesson planning to differentiate for students with LDs.
- NYS Students with Disabilities certification required. Alternatively, Master’s degree in Special Education (Learning Disabilities) or in Literacy required
- At least five years of full-time, lead-teaching experience.
- At least two years of school-based, learning specialist experience.
- Experience with Orton Gillingham or Orton Gillingham-based instructional programs required.
- Experience with Judith Hochman and/or SRSD writing approaches a plus.
- Up-to-date knowledge of AT, including Chrome extensions, software, and hardware.
- Experience and training in translating neuropsychological evaluations into school-based interventions.
- Experience collaborating with teachers in translating 1:1 practices back into into classroom-based supports across content areas.
- submit via email (no calls) a cover letter specific to the school’s mission, program, and population,;
- and email an up-to-date CV listing degrees, GPAs, certifications, and all experience working with children.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $85,000.00 - $130,000.00 per year
- Disability Insurance
- Health Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Parental Leave
- Tuition Reimbursement
- 8 Hour Shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
We will be operating remotely until a vaccine is available to staff and students.
- classroom teaching: 5 years (Required)
- Literacy Specialist: 2 years (Preferred)
- Master's (Required)
- One location
This Job Is:
- A job for which all ages, including older job seekers, are encouraged to apply
Company's Facebook page:
- Only full-time employees eligible
- Temporarily due to COVID-19