Backstage matches creative projects with the best talent. We help staff over 50,000 creative projects a year in film, television, commercials, branded content, theater, experiential marketing
and more. At our core is a strong belief in breaking down barriers and providing direct access to the best talent in the creative industry. We're a team of customer centric, analytical and creative problem solvers with a passion for helping our customers make amazing projects together.
Backstage is seeking a remote Senior Backend Engineer
to join our passionate web team. Our backend
web team consists of eight engineers, and includes mid and senior level engineers, tech leads, and an engineering
manager. This team is a part of Backstage's larger product
department, which numbers approximately thirty high-performance engineers, designers, product
managers, analysts, and quality assurance
resources. We value curiosity, trust, and impact, and we foster a culture of constant learning and improvement where teammates work together to accomplish user-focused initiatives.
Our process is a modified Kanban process with the goal of delivering incremental value to the customer. Products are workshopped and then broken into milestones, with estimates driven by engineers, not managers. We uphold autonomy and trust our engineers to pick the best tools suited for their tasks, while working collaboratively towards mutual goals. In line with our goal to continue delivering value to the customer, we release multiple times a day, every day, and adhere to a robust QA
and code review process before any code is released.
As a backend engineer
, you will be working with cutting edge technology
and new product
development in a stable and rapidly growing company. You will be partnering with our product
and tech leads to design
and architect new features. This is an individual contributor role, and you will be empowered to make your own decisions about implementations and given autonomy to complete your work at your own pace.
What You'll Do:
- Partner with product, marketing, business intelligence, and design teams to develop new product features and enhancements
- Design engineering plans to meet the requirements of the product or goal
- Design, build and maintain efficient, reusable, and reliable Python code
- Contribute to and influence the overall backend architecture decisions
- Work closely with product, marketing, and customer service to translate customer feedback into successful features and tools
- Collaborate with backend engineers outside your feature team to maintain shared code and infrastructure
- Coordinate with frontend engineers to provide a cohesive experienceUse both technical and relational skills to lead large scale projects to completion
- Collaborate, mentor, and learn with a high-performing team of engineers
- Proven experience building a major product or feature from scratch at scale for a large public-facing web application
- Advanced proficiency with Python and Django
- Solid database skills in a relational database (i.e., PostgresSQL, MySQL, etc.)
- Experience with Elasticsearch a plus
- Experience in developing RESTful APIs
- Strong unit test and debugging skills
- Experience incrementally rolling out new features, components or refactors without blocking the rest of the team, and iterating upon and maintaining live products
- Strong project management skills; able to organize, adhere to process, and execute projects across disciplines and by deadline
- Excellent communication skills; you can articulate clearly, thoroughly, and concisely to technical and non-technical audiences
- Comfortability with the entire development life cycle (inception to release) in an Agile environment
- Collaborative, engaged, and adaptable; you are comfortable joining a team with a large, mature codebase with established engineering processes
- Flexible and proactive, you're able to shift gears quickly in a fast-paced environment
Backstage Holdings' mission is to empower creative talent and streamline the content creation process for projects in film, television, commercials/branded content, social media, theater, music video, video games, and more. At our core is a strong belief in breaking down barriers and providing direct access to the best talent in the creative industry. We're a team of customer centric, analytical and creative problem solvers with a passion for helping our customers make amazing projects together. Our mission: to empower creative talent and streamline the content creation process for projects in film, television, commercials/branded content, social media, theater, music video, video games, and more. Backstage provides solutions that manage the entire project lifecycle, including talent discovery and staffing, production, post production, and distribution. Our brands include Backstage, Coverfly, FilmFreeway, Final Draft, ShareGrid, Sonicbids, and Voice123. Visit our website for more information.
Backstage Holdings is part of Cast & Crew LLC, a family of individually innovative companies modernizing the ways in which content is created.
Compensation is commensurate with various factors including, but not limited to, relevant experience, qualifications, skills, training, licensure, certifications, geographic cost of labor, and other business
and organizational needs. Compensation range for candidates in other locations may differ based on the cost of labor in that location.
The compensation range for this position is: