Software Engineer (Backend) - Experience (Los Angeles) @ sweetgreen - Los Angeles, CA
Software Engineer (Backend) - Experience (Los Angeles)
Post a job for free in Los Angeles, CA
Software Engineer - Backend - Experience Platform
Who We Are
At sweetgreen, a Software Engineer is responsible for building, testing, debugging/troubleshooting, and maintaining code for both web and native applications. They share some infrastructure responsibilities regarding DevOps, take the lead on continuous integration and deployment, and drive standards with Senior Engineers and the rest of the department.
It is expected that an Engineer will promote strong design principles as they relate to scalability, disposable resources, automation, loose coupling, service oriented design, databases, removing single points of failure, cache, cost, and security. They are trusted squad members that heavily influence the design and implementation of new services while also integrating with and upgrading existing ones to address mission-critical problems.
Top Goal - The Experience Platform domain is a technical domain whose key performance objective is to create a contribution model that reduces friction, elevates the quality of solutions, and improves the speed of development for customer experience work. This squad will be focused on improving the current implementation, discovering opportunities for consolidation, and evaluating new technical solutions that could allow us to move even faster. The early focus for this squad will be mobile, and over time extend to all ordering channels. Within 90 days you'll have developed a comprehensive understanding of our current mobile workflows and begun to implement the improvements that you and your team have identified as being critical to reduce friction.
- Map the Existing System: A guest order flows through many systems before making it to our customers. In your first two weeks, you'll have developed a deep understanding of the order lifecycle by reviewing the existing system design and documentation. By day 21, you will have contributed to those areas that need additional documentation, in both Confluence and elsewhere.
- Collaboratively Design and Evaluate Alternatives: Within 30 days, conduct a high-level end-to-end system analysis. Work with Product to understand the user needs and the S+O engineering squad to develop realistic solutions. Develop against technical design documents (TDDs) that describe our solutions and work with other Lead Engineers and Software Engineering Managers to conduct trade-off analysis with a specific focus on scalability and sustainability.
- Present Your Solution: By 45 days in seat, you will be contributing to and influencing TDDs in support of our Lead Engineers and Software Engineering Managers - providing feedback for feasibility, scalability, and implications for how our solutions would interface with existing systems.
- Lead the Technical Implementation: By day 90, you will spend 75%+ of your time conducting the technical development of the solutions with our team of engineers and personally building RESTful APIs for your solution. The primary focus of the technical development effort will be to assume ownership over the custom-developed portions of the Store + Operations platform. Your work will include presenting your own pull requests and reviewing others. In partnership with Product and Technical Program Management you'll hold yourself accountable to the dates that you committed to, completing feature work in your first sprint.
- Documentation: In order to ease future teammate onboarding, debugging, and knowledge sharing of complex services while mitigating the risk of tribal knowledge, within 30 days in seat, you'll contribute to our established information architecture within Confluence and put a plan in place to realize 100% documentation of the systems you own.
- Monitoring System Health: By day 90, you will be contributing to the implementation of missing or leverage existing telemetry and testing, through CI/CD, so you can report on the health of your services, triage bugs, and limit regression
- Raise The Bar: At sweetgreen we dedicate a portion of our attention to matters that may not be immediately customer facing and instead allow for us to work smarter, or faster, or simply reduce friction in the developer experience. You'll own your squad's specific backlog that is focused on operational excellence.
- Demonstrated track record of building exceptional software
- Experience in one or more backend languages (NodeJS, Java, Ruby, PHP, etc)
- Knowledge and experience with AGILE methodology.
- Champion for software quality
- Experience building RESTful API's
- Experience deploying website A/B testing or personalization
- Strong understanding of best practices relating to backend architecture
- Strong problem solving, communication, and creative skills.
- Experience building client facing products
- Strong time management.
- A strong desire to experiment with bleeding edge technology and understand relating market trends.
- Experience building with GraphQL
- Experience with distributed systems
- Serverless computing (AWS, Azure, or GCP)
- Experience with containerization (ex: Docker)
- Three different medical plans to suit your and your family's needs
- Dental and Vision insurance
- Flexible PTO plan
- 401k; company match of 50% up to 3% of employee contribution
- 5 months paid family leave; we believe in fully supporting new parents
- Employee HSA and FSA
- Complimentary greens
- An opportunity to make a real impact on the people around you, both by growing them and by connecting them to real food
- To live the sweetlife and celebrate your passion + purpose
- A collaborative family of people who live our core values and have your back
- A clear career path with opportunities for development, both personally and professionally
- Free sweetgreen swag
At sweetgreen we are focused on building a great experience for our customers and we look to constantly enhance that through empowerment of our teams to build innovative solutions. We believe that it's a mix of individual skill and collaboration that leads to successful outcomes. There is no standard definition of what an Engineer is or does, and depending on where you're coming from things might look a little different.
Come join the sweetlife!
sweetgreen is on a mission to build healthier communities by connecting people to real food. We passionately believe that real food should be convenient and accessible to everyone. Every day in each sweetgreen restaurant, our 4,000+ team members make food from scratch, using fresh ingredients and produce delivered that morning. And in our local communities, we're committed to leaving people better than we found them. We're in the business of feeding people, and we're out to change what that means. Our people are our most valuable ingredient - the heart of our company, the face of our brand, and what truly makes the sweetgreen experience special and unique.
sweetgreen provides equal opportunities for everyone that works for us and everyone that applies to join our team, without regard to sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, any service, past, present, or future, in the uniformed services of the United States (military or veteran status), or any other consideration protected by federal, state, or local law.
sweetgreen participates in the federal government's E-Verify program to determine employment eligibility. To learn more about the E-Verify program, please click here.