Senior SDET @ ChowNow - Los Angeles, CA
Los Angeles, CA
13 days ago
Post a job for free in Los Angeles, CA
Do you love breaking things and finding out how they work? Do you consistently find ways to automate repeatable tasks? Do you desire a high impact role in ensuring a quality customer experience? If so, we would like to offer you an opportunity to design and build test automation solutions for our wide range of products where you can have a visible impact on the experiences of our customers.
Our product and technology:
Our backend applications and automated tests are written in Python 3. The RESTful APIs we develop enable multiple client-facing platforms, ranging from our website products built with React & Redux to our native mobile applications. Depending on our use case, we store data in MySQL RDS, Elasticsearch or Redis. We write automated tests to get fast feedback on changes to our APIs and web ordering platform.
Our infrastructure-as-code platform is hosted by Amazon Web Services, developed and orchestrated using Ansible and Terraform. We automate as much as we can, utilizing Jenkins for deployments and running our tests.
About the Position:
ChowNow’s Engineering Team has built a reliable, stable, and modern platform enabling restaurant owners to accept pickup and delivery orders online. Our quality first approach to engineering drives the team to succeed and has contributed to the success and growth of the company. We understand that prioritizing customer experience requires serious investment into test automation and that's why we need you. You’re a software engineer specialized in test automation and excited about the opportunity to build test automation tools and processes for software including websites, mobile apps, and APIs.
About the Team:
ChowNow is unique among tech startups in the restaurant space. We power branded online ordering systems for independent restaurants across North America – via websites, Facebook, Google, and through branded iOS and Android apps – and we do it all for a reasonable monthly fee regardless of order volume. We operate this way because of our belief in being fair, sustainable, and equitable with our restaurant partners. And the same goes for our workplace.
Diversity, teamwork, and mutual respect are among our core company values. And we pride ourselves on giving our teams plenty of opportunities to make their mark. To date we’ve created over 17,000 apps for our restaurant partners – something that’s never been done before in our category. And as we expand to new markets, further spreading the word about the ChowNow difference, those opportunities to create, build, and grow will only increase. If this sounds like the kind of workplace, and the kind of mission, that appeals to you, we’d love to talk.
Learn more by checking out our reviews on Glassdoor (they’re excellent). Together we can preserve neighborhood flavor, one restaurant at a time.
Within 1 month, you’ll...
- Progress through our Ramp Camp (ChowNow’s New Hire Onboarding Experience).
- Complete Engineering Training, learning about our software development process, tools, technology stack, and architecture.
- Join our Test Automation Team, meet team members and take ownership of expanding our test automation framework.
Within 3 months, you’ll...
- Learn our business model and how test automation can support our key platforms, products, and features.
- Master development patterns and collaborative processes.
- Collaborate with the QA Engineers, Product Manager, and Test Automation Team to discover the breadth of automated testing desired to ensure quality.
- Develop new tests and refactor existing ones. We ship iteratively with an agile mindset.
- Write clear documentation for tests and test framework improvements.
Within 6 months, you’ll…
- Make a tangible impact to development cycle times by partnering with QA Engineers to tackle repetitive and time consuming manual tests.
- Understand major feature areas of our applications and be comfortable navigating the product.
- Collaborate with Test Automation Team to identify improvements to our Test Framework.
- Design and then implement an entire test suite for a large piece of a product or an entire product.
Within 12 months, you’ll...
- Make significant improvements to the test automation framework.
- Feel comfortable as a knowledge leader, contribute to knowledge sharing and continuing to learn.
- Expand test automation coverage outside of existing test suites, according to the test automation needs and team priorities.
- Be an essential part of growing our team by fully participating in the hiring interview process.
You Should Apply If:
- You possess an innate curiosity about software, discovering interesting edge cases and building tests around them.
- You have hands-on experience automating tests for APIs, web apps, and you’re interested in behavior driven development.
- You feel confident in setting up CI/CD pipelines for test automation, operating in Linux environments and developing tests in Python.
- You are well organized, thrilled to experience building test automation tools from the ground up.
- You are well versed in test automation patterns to address backend and frontend needs.
- You constantly work to get better at your craft.
- You find excitement in learning new business models and transferring such knowledge into beautiful test design.
- You like collaborating with multiple stakeholders within and outside the Engineering Team towards a common goal.
- You make decisions based on data and evidence.
- You enjoy an iterative, agile development process with frequent releases.
- You take great pleasure in writing reliable, highly readable tests.
- You thrive in environments that support your growth, and where you can support others.
About Our Benefits:
- Competitive Salary
- Ongoing training and growth opportunities
- A “best place to work” winner multiple times where we focus on creating a great employee experience
- Rock solid medical, dental, and vision plans
- Mental Health Coverage - we offer several programs to support your mental health and wellness goals.
- 3 weeks paid vacation; paid holidays; we expect you to work hard, but still enjoy your personal life
- 6 weeks of baby bonding time for all new parents (within the first year of birth or adoption), 6 Weeks of Paid Pregnancy Leave
- Employer-contributing student loan assistance program
- Commuter benefits (including Uber Pool)
- Employee Stock Incentive Plan
- Quarterly Industry Speakers Series
- Quarterly Tech Events (Women, LGBTQ, Diversity, Inclusion)
- Consistent & fair leadership: we’ll share info, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly
- Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable
- Fully stocked kitchen and cold brew on tap
As one of ChowNow’s core values, “Celebrates Diversity”, we are committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment. ChowNow is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.