PMC: Software Engineer @ Penske Media - Los Angeles, CA
Post a job for free in Los Angeles, CA
PMC: Software Engineer
COVID-19 HIRING UPDATE: We have transitioned to a remote work model and are continuing to hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We appreciate this is unprecedented times and will work closely with you, taking into account your individual circumstances.
We are looking for someone currently in an entry level role, ready to take on the challenge of a mid-level Software Engineer. You will be building features and functionality for use on PMC enterprise WordPress sites. In the first year, it’s anticipated that this work will involve editorial tools (we are beginning the process of updating to Gutenberg), site speed, and our design system. Your work will be a mixture of frontend and backend coding and often will involve figuring out multiple options and helping decide on the the best solution.
This position can be based in NYC, LA, or we can consider remote in a limited number of states.
PMC’s Product, Engineering, and Project team is distributed, but is close and supportive. We believe that everyone on the team contributes and has room for growth. Some of the ways we do this include blameless postmortems, a yearly in person all-team summit, and flexible schedules. We have a structured engineering career ladder to help you grow and you’ll have support and mentorship from multiple people. We are also eager to learn from you, as we recognize that everyone's individual background and experiences makes the team better.
- Develop great, high-quality features for multiple websites
- Identify multiple solutions to medium and large size problems and advocate for the one you think is best
- Serve as a technical lead on multi-sprint initiatives with oversite
- Help improve engineering standards and best practices through researching and experimentation
- Collaborate with a cross functional team of talented people that is thoughtful, inclusive, respectful of each other, and that tackles hard problems
- Own your deliverables and ensure we continue to ship scalable, highly-available products that delight our readers
- Share your knowledge and learnings in order to help the rest of the team
- Help establish and maintain the technical vision for products and overall technical quality, including reduction of technical debt
- Assist product & project management with requirement gathering and planning out phases, tasks and dependencies
- You don’t need to check every box for the experience below. If you are passionate about this opportunity, we would love to hear from you.
- Minimum of 1 year experience writing production code for the web
- Experience developing WordPress at scale
- Enjoy debugging complex problems
- Enthusiasm for Agile principles and values
- Experience working with distributed teams
- Proven track record of delivering on your commitments and communicating risks
- Knowledge of how the web works and how to make it efficient (HTTP/S, caching, page rendering, etc.)
- Good verbal and written communication skills, including sometimes communicating with VP-level executives
- Experience with website development in the media, entertainment, or publishing industries
The Hiring Process
Your resume will be reviewed within a week of us receiving it. Every round is designed to give you an opportunity to meet members of our team and ask questions. The first round interview will be with the Director of Editorial Technology and will focus on general engineering. The second and third rounds are more focused on specifics, with one being deeper technical questions and the other focusing more on how you like to work. Occasionally there will be a fourth round with a senior member of our team. There are no coding tests, brain teasers, or algorithm challenges. We want to know about you and what working with you will be like.
PMC is a leading independent global media and information services company whose award-winning content attracts a passionate monthly audience of more than 310 million. Since 2004, Penske Media has been a pioneer in digital media and a platform innovator, reaching viewers on all screens across its ever-growing constellation of iconic brands, which includes Deadline, Variety, Rolling Stone, Billboard, The Hollywood Reporter, VIBE, WWD, SHE Media, Robb Report, Sportico, BGR, ARTnews, Art in America, Fairchild Media, and Spy.com, among many others. PMC’s journalists and content creators deliver daily the most comprehensive news and information in their industries and areas of coverage, unequaled in ambition, depth and courage. Headquartered in New York and Los Angeles with additional offices in 14 countries worldwide, PMC believes companies should not only be profitable but also forces for good. To learn more about PMC, our 2% Foundation, and our portfolio of brands, please visit www.PMC.com.