Engineer III, Optical Transport @ Telamon - Long Beach, CA
Post a job for free in Long Beach, CA
Optical Transport Engineer III
Who We Are:
Founded in 1985, Telamon is a family-owned, minority-owned, and privately held company based in Indiana with global operations. Our vision is to be a load bearing support across generations, and we live by our core values of Honesty, Harmony, Simplicity, and Stewardship. We are deeply committed to honoring transparency, championing diversity, and cultivating growth. We talk about these often, and this is an important part of who we are!
What We Do:
Telamon leads the pack in designing, building, and installing telecommunication networks enabling connectivity in all forms, from traditional mobile phone usage and connectivity in stadiums, hospitals and schools, all the way down to connected safety in our cars with the industrial manufacturing of wire harnesses for airbag and seatbelt applications. We have a diversified business model that cultivates growth not only for our company but for our employees as well.
What We Need:
We are currently seeking an Optical Transport Engineer III to join our team! If you are looking for a place to grow your skills and share our values, read below and see if this role is a match for you.
This role is a SME that has experience on the 15454, NCS2006, and NCS2015 platforms and represents Cisco onsite at the customer's facility. This person is the local expert that the customer comes to for Cisco Optical network design, troubleshooting expertise, product knowledge and advice. This person takes their direction in a consultative role from the Customer then Cisco.
The Optical Transport Engineer III has diverse expertise in DWDM/ROADM Systems. They have extensive knowledge and experience on Network Designs, Installation Standards, Commissioning and Provisioning procedures, Node and Services Testing and customer circuit migrations. Optical Transport Engineer III’s will work with the Principal Engineer and Functional Team Leads on developing procedural efficiencies, provide valued input in our scoping process, Lead On-Site Field Deployment Teams and participate in post-project evaluations meetings.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Analyze/validate Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing (DWDM), Optical Transport, Synchronous Optical Networks, and Carrier Ethernet networks to meet requirements of the carrier and/or enterprise customers and determine project feasibility.
- Maintain and administer networks and related computing environments including computer hardware, systems software, applications software, and all configurations.
- Evaluate customer-provided network designs, engineering packages, test plans, and Method of Procedures to ensure effectiveness and compatibility for the final implementation.
- Diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve hardware, software, and other network and system problems either in the field or by remote access.
- Validate the design, configuration, and testing of hardware, networking software and operating system software.
- Coordinate activities relating to customer engineering processes and Statement of Work (SOW) implementation procedures.
- Prepare criteria and procedures for various Fiber Characterization tests results by using provided test sets for customer review.
- Research new technologies by attending seminars, reading trade articles, or taking classes, and implement or recommend the implementation of new technologies.
- Collaborate with Customer, Project Management and Installation teams to develop project implementation plans.
- Create written design documentation and procedures in support of network configurations and new technology introductions including detailed implementation project plans and procedures.
- Create detailed Method of Procedures for complex network/node augments or service migrations.
- Mentors and trains other Engineering personnel in all required elements of Optical System Deployments.
- Identify training requirements based on next-generation technologies.
- Must utilize fieldwork experience to provide technical support to back office/pre-sales teams and to determine Engineering resources for large-scale optical network engineering projects.
- This position does not have direct reports but is a team lead for identifying, defining and writing the SOW for new, as yet unidentified Optical opportunities within the customer’s network.
Skills and Abilities Required:
- Dynamic Team Player who can work in Harmony with Peers.
- Operate with a high degree of Integrity, Honesty and Stewardship.
- Adapt to changing technologies, standards, and certification requirements.
- Work independently, while retaining the ability to work collaboratively within a team.
- Communicate effectively with peers, Project Managers, customers, vendors, consultants, employees and others encountered in the course of work
- Technical project management skills including developing implementation plans and making technical decisions during implementation periods.
- Manage Business Travel and process expense reports in compliance with corporate travel standards.
- Ability to lift 50lbs
- Must have a valid Driver License.
- The position may assist in taking inventory of Cisco product from time to time as needed which may require lifting boxes in excess of 20 pounds.
- This position may assist in installing hardware into cabinets from time to time as needed which may require lifting equipment in excess of 20 pounds.
- This position is expected to be onsite, however travel to work sites can occur at any given occasion, expect 80% in office, 20% travel.
Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Electrical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, or related field.
- 10+ years of direct industry related experience in deploying optical transport systems in Service Provider and Data Center environments.
- Experienced or Certified in Fiber Optics Characterization Testing
- CCNA (Preferred)
- Experienced in deploying both dispersion compensated and coherent networks.
- Expert knowledge and vendor certification specifically for Cisco MSTP/NCS2K DWDM/ROADM platforms.
- Proficient knowledge of Cisco Transport Planner Design Tool.
- OEM Certifications preferred for Ciena, Fujitsu. ALU, and Infinera.
- Expert knowledge with EXFO and VIAVI Test Equipment supporting Circuit Testing up to 100GE/OTU4.
- ISO/TL9000 certified operations
- Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP), TL1, or XML-based management protocols;
*Telamon Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. Telamon does not and will not discriminate against any applicant because of race, color, religion, age, national origin, disability, sex (including sexual orientation and gender identity), marital status, veteran or military status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Telamon Corporation makes all employment decisions in a non-discriminatory manner.*