Software Engineer @ Phunware - Irvine, CA
Post a job for free in Irvine, CA
Since our founding in 2009, we’ve relentlessly worked toward a vision of a future powered by Phunware. We spend our days obsessing over how best to design, build, launch, promote and support branded apps that engage, compel and delight the world’s most discerning audiences. For over a decade, we’ve helped Fortune 5000 businesses throughout the mobile app lifecycle with data-backed decisions at every step.
If you share our passion for innovative mobile app experiences and dream of a world empowered by seamless, one-to-one interactions, we want to hear from you. Get in touch with us today—our Phamily always has room for one more!
This position is Full-time.
Candidates for this position must be authorized to work in the United States and not require work authorization sponsorship by our company for this position now or in the future.
Phunware is seeking a Full-Stack Software Engineer in Austin, TX, Irvine, CA or San Diego, CA with a proven track record of designing and developing scalable software systems that leverage open source and big data related technologies.
The Software Engineer’s primary responsibility is to work on projects and products deployed across server side, front-end and mobile platforms as the organization grows and evolves. Phunware needs our engineers to be versatile and capable of addressing challenging and exciting opportunities as we continue to innovate and lead in the mobile space. The ideal candidate is proactive, responsive, comfortable dealing with ambiguity, experienced with software development and has a strong track record of having deployed highly scalable production code.
- Design, Develop & Architect scalable, low-latency, robust high-volume production software systems designed to handle billions of transactions daily
- Develop web and server side applications using Java, J2EE, RESTful web services
- Work on projects and products deployed across server side and mobile platforms as the organization grows and evolves
- Create architectural workflows, diagrams and specification documents to help define platform features/functionality
- Write server-side code for web-based applications, create robust high-volume production applications and quickly develop prototypes
- Work with product management to take story-driven requirements and implement them using Agile Test Driven techniques
- Work in an organized team-oriented environment with shared responsibilities
What You'll Bring:
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- Strong experience in building highly scalable, available and responsive systems using open source software tools and technologies
- 4-9 years of professional software development experience
- 5+ years strong Java development experience
- Good experience with REST API frameworks
- Strong SQL skills
- Experience doing Test Driven Development (TDD), Continuous Integration (CI) and test automation
- Should have worked on concurrent, distributed systems
- Responsible, organized and hard working with excellent communication skills
- Experience with agile development processes, JIRA, Confluence & Slack
- Experience with cloud delivery platforms, ideally Amazon
Bonus Points For:
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- Experience developing applications that interact with message queues (RabbitMQ or Kafka)
- 3+ years Big Data related technologies (Hadoop, Spark, MapReduce, Hive, Cloudera)
- Experience developing Analytics, Machine Learning algorithms or Natural Language Processing systems
- Experience with Cloudera / Impala
- Experience with NoSQL databases such as HBase, Cassandra, MongoDB or Aerospike
- Comfortable with Linux, Scripting (Shell, Python etc)
- Experience with mobile related technology (iOS/Android)
- Experience GraphQL and other UI SDK such as Redux, Redux-Thunk
Compensation and Benefits:
- Fun, casual, fast-paced work environment filled with talented colleagues
- Competitive salary
- Restricted Stock Units
- Flexible paid time off
- Full range of benefits, including 401(k) and medical, dental and vision coverage
Everything You Need to Succeed on Mobile — Transforming Digital Human Experience
Phunware, Inc. (NASDAQ: PHUN), is the pioneer of Multiscreen-as-a-Service (MaaS), an award-winning, fully integrated enterprise cloud platform for mobile that provides companies the products, solutions, data and services necessary to engage, manage and monetize their mobile application portfolios and audiences globally at scale. Phunware’s Software Development Kits (SDKs) include location-based services, mobile engagement, content management, messaging, advertising, loyalty (PhunCoin & Phun) and analytics, as well as a mobile application framework of pre-integrated iOS and Android software modules for building in-house or channel-based mobile application and vertical solutions. Phunware helps the world’s most respected brands create category-defining mobile experiences, with more than one billion active devices touching its platform each month.