Software Engineer (Embedded Software) @ SpaceX - Hawthorne, CA
Software Engineer (Embedded Software)
Post a job for free in Hawthorne, CA
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SOFTWARE ENGINEER (EMBEDDED SOFTWARE)
As a software engineer on the Vehicle Embedded team, you will be creating software that is used to design, develop, launch and operate space-to-space and space-to-ground laser communications systems. You will help ensure our system is reliable, efficient and to provide high data rate communication across multiple SpaceX programs. You will engage with other SpaceX engineers to discover the needs of the mission and write highly reliable software that turns the mission into a reality. You will be responsible for the complete lifecycle of the software you create, from development to testing to operation during a mission.
Aerospace experience is not required to be successful here - rather we look for smart, motivated, collaborative engineers who love solving problems and want to make an impact on a super inspiring mission.
- Develop highly reliable and available software systems
- Develop prototypes to prove out key design concepts and quantify technical constraints
- Write high quality structured microcontroller and Linux-based software for embedded processors (e.g. ARM, PowerPC, x86, etc.)
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, math, or science discipline OR 2+ years of experience in software development.
- Development in C, C++ or a similar language for embedded systems or Linux
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Strong software design and development skills
- Thorough knowledge of systems, computer architecture, software development, networks, and electronics
- Experience developing fault tolerant software
- Have shipped embedded software in high volume products or real-time products that require high reliability and fault tolerance
- Hardware debug experience, including familiarity with tools such as the oscilloscope, logic analyzer, protocol analyzer (SPI, CAN, Ethernet or similar)
- Significant understanding of embedded software principles and ability to contribute in design sessions
- Strong skills in debugging, performance optimization and unit testing
- Effectively worked as a team member and in large code bases
- Creative approach to problem solving and exceptional analytical skills
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic environment with changing needs and requirements
- Ability to work independently and in a team, take initiative, and communicate effectively
- Willing to work extended hours and weekends when needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX's Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.