Platform Engineering Manager @ Experian - Costa Mesa, CA
Platform Engineering Manager
Post a job for free in Costa Mesa, CA
Experian’s Computer Information Services (CIS) Platform Engineering team is looking for highly motivated engineering leader that can thrive in a non-traditional, fast paced agile environment at the cutting-edge of the Cloud and Big Data analytics ecosystem. Our Data Engineering and Infrastructure teams provide a platform that caters to various data needs for both external and internal customers. The technologies we work on include a broad range of both commercial and opensource solutions – Java/J2EE, NoSQL, Hadoop, Hive, Tez, Spark, Python, R, H20, SAS, Jupyter, Parquet, Presto, Griffin, Zeppelin, Kafka, Kstreams/Attunuity and other ML/AI products. We operate at a substantial scale, with Hadoop clusters of hundreds of nodes Petabytes of data, and thousands of jobs executed. We are a security first organization with heavy investments around privacy and data adoption, embracing a hybrid cloud strategy and various data engineering initiatives. We are ultra-focused in our platform engineering teams and are looking for strong leaders to help us execute on our vision.
About us, but we’ll be brief
Experian is the world’s leading global information services company, unlocking the power of data to create more opportunities for consumers, businesses and society. For five years in a row, we have been named in the Top 100 “World’s Most Innovative Companies” by Forbes Magazine. With a focus on our employees, we were rated the #1 Top Workplace by the Orange County Register. Experian Consumer Information Services is redefining the way our clients do business within all aspects of the customer credit lifecycle. Fueled by best-in-class data and innovative technology we help businesses make smarter decisions, identify consumers, make decisions on loans, market to prospects and collect.
What you’ll be doing
In this role, you’ll be leading data engineering teams within Experian’s platform engineering organization. You’ll create the vision for the data engineering and infrastructure teams across the CIS business unit and you’ll develop a plan to achieve that vision. Additional responsibilities include:
- Partner with product management/data infra/customer teams to build shared goals
- Establish the processes needed to achieve operational excellence in all areas, including program management and SRE
- Build a high-performance team and contribute to a culture of technical and operational excellence.
- Build relationships with Data Scientists, Product Managers and Software Engineers to understand data needs
- Guide the design, building, and launching of new data models and data pipelines in production
- Manage development of data resources to support new product launches
- Drive data quality across the product vertical and related business areas
- Manage the delivery of insightful dashboards and data visualizations
- Establish SLA’s for all data sets and processes running in production
- Manage the program-level decomposition of work across multiple delivery teams.
- Move fluidly from the big picture to details and lead the engineering teams to deliver complex and strategic cross-functional projects, often with tight deadlines.
- Be a bridge between various engineering teams. Need to be intuitive, focused, driven, organized, insightful and productive. Have to break through communication issues and effectively develop relationships with stakeholders at all levels of the organization. Mainly, build trust across the organization.
- Proactively remove obstacles to drive momentum and progress. Identify communication gaps, manage issue escalations and provide support to teams balancing competing priorities. Drive results proactively.
What your background looks like
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or related field.
- Previous management experience in a high-performing, large-scale technology company
- Experience developing teams that work on large scale data infrastructure.
- Experience in data warehouse technologies, data modeling and ETL development.
- Experience in any programming language like Java, Scala or Python.
- Experience with big data technologies like Hadoop, Spark, Hive, Presto etc.
- Experience working on both real-time and batch processing data pipelines.
- Passion for privacy and security
- Solid technical aptitude and an ability to understand technical designs, challenges and risks.
- You have a passion for finding solutions to hard business problems and building partnerships and teams to deliver these solutions to customers. Engineers should enjoy working with you.
- Strong business acumen and technical background, with the ability to quickly understand and communicate technical concepts and challenges across wide-ranging audiences
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the professional confidence and credibility to effectively engage and interact with senior and executive management
EOE including Disability/Veteran