Sr. Software Engineer
API– We offer a competitive benefits package!
The Company: GIA is the world’s foremost authority in gemology. GIA is a global organization with headquarters located in Carlsbad, CA. GIA in Carlsbad boasts a 17-acre ocean view campus that accommodates approximately 800 of its 3,000 total employees worldwide. It offers many competitive health and commuter benefits that promote the well-being of its employees as well as that of the environment.
The Location: This position is located in Carlsbad, California at our corporate headquarters. We offer a flexible work-from-home schedule, with a few days in the office per month.
approval, we are offering fully remote work in the states of AZ, CA, CT, HI, ID, IL, LA, MA, MI, MN, NJ, NY, NC, OH, OR, TN, TX, UT and WA*
What to expect:
- Work Hours: Monday through Friday regular business hours
- We offer competitive medical, dental, vision and matching 401-K plans
- Paid vacation, sick and holidays, tuition assistance
The Sr. Software Engineer
API will preside over our data integrations for the consumer, enterprise, and affiliate marketplaces; integrate internal and 3rd-party information into data utilized by fellow full-stack engineers; and drive growth by improving critical infrastructures or addressing big data, e-commerce services, and information security
This is a generally full-stack role and will be principally responsible for implementation of a variety of technical components including APIs, databases, backend
services, and web-based UIs.
- Collaborates closely with other members of the engineering and product teams to deliver world-class capabilities.
- Works to support feature development, continuous technical improvements and evolution of our stack to align with business and user scale.
- Supports and improve current systems and APIs.
- Works closely with cross-functional development personnel to build high-value features for our users.
- Collaborates with other engineering teams to design and implement effective and efficient APIs.
- Develops, tests, deploys, and operates key services and APIs.
- Ensures solutions and systems are secure, and performant and provide a high-quality user experience.
- Helps establish, codify, and champion product documentation, coding standards and best practices.
- Partners with other developers through pair programming and code reviews.
- Participates in and champion continuous improvement of development processes, standards, and tooling.
- Works closely with QA team to build and maintain automated unit, integration, performance, and load tests where appropriate.
- Evaluates and recommends new technologies.
- Other duties as assigned.
TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities):
- 5+ years leading API design and architecture projects across an organization.
- Understands and highly proficient in development fundamentals, including OO, design patterns, data structures and application scalability/reliability.
- Deep understanding of microservices design and asynchronous queueing models.
- Strong problem-solving skills of different complexities required.
- Intrinsic passion to learn new technologies and pursue self-development.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate well with team members and cross functional teams on product features and technical designs.
- Experience with cloud development on the AWS platform with services including API Gateway, Lambda, EC2, ECS, SQS, SNS, Fargate, and Dynamo DB.
- Fluency with RESTful API principles, design and tradeoffs.
- Hands on experience with Node.js and MongoDB.
- Experience in working with multi-functional scrum teams.
- Ability to accomplish complex engineering tasks independently.
- Knowledge: a seasoned, experienced professional with a full understanding of area of specialization; has comprehensive knowledge of theories and practices within at least one discipline, and may have broad knowledge across other related areas.
- Strong knowledge of MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
- Language skills: proficiency in reading, writing and speaking in English.
- Communication skills: ability to communicate complex info in a simplified and clear manner; can communicate effectively with others, able to develop and modify communication strategies to deliver difficult or complex information. Actively listens and encourages the open expression of diverse ideas.
- Interpersonal skills: ability to create positive interactions with colleagues; actively communicates with co-workers or with management in a timely & professional manner; maintains collaborative working relationship with others and peers to improve performance.
- Teamwork: interface well with others, knows who to go to and how to communicate issues/needs. Knows how to balance the interests of multiple stakeholders. Works in a collaborative agile development environment.
- Problem solving: works on complex issues, requiring the ability to synthesize and analyze multiple sources of information to independently solve problems requiring strong judgement and decision-making abilities.
- Time management / organizational skills: manages time and priorities appropriately - approaches work in an organized and systematic manner. Able to manage large projects and deadlines.
- Flexibility: able to adapt to change, able to multi-task while maintaining attention to detail. Able to adapt communication styles. Understands that different situations may call for different approaches.
- Personal accountability: continually improves performance; takes personal accountability for decisions, actions & outcomes. Follows through on commitments and encourages others do the same.
- Conflict resolution: able to settle differences in productive ways while minimizing disruptions. Willingness to confront issues. Facilitates breakthroughs by integrating diverse views and finding common ground or acceptable alternatives.
- Maintains & fosters sensitivity and respect for cultural diversity. Seeks to understand different perspectives and cultures.
- Mentoring: always shares and transfers knowledge locally and/or globally to team members as needed.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science
, Mathematics, Engineering
or related field, and 4-5+ years related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS / WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Work is performed in a designated professional office workstation and environment.
- Extensive use of office equipment to include computer, calculator, copier, fax, and other business related machines and software.
Pay Range: $106-175k
Disclaimer: This job description indicates in general terms, the type and level of work performed as well as the typical responsibilities of employees in this classification and it may be changed by management
at any time. Other duties may also apply. Nothing in this job description changes the at-will employment relationship existing between the Company and its employees.